Thursday, May 24, 2007

It is the last day of school for my not-so-little one, and I just returned from attending the award ceremony. She really racked them up, boy. The most important award, in my opinion, was the citizenship award. Go ahead and gasp, all you overachievers out there, but if she accomplishes nothing else in her life, I am proud that she knows how to get along with others and be a support system to those around her.

I had to sit through all of the classes, and unfortunately it was evident that some of the children will not be advancing to the next grade level. Major bummer. It made me think about the kids who will not be graduating form high school due to not passing the TAKS. How exactly does this happen? How do you get all the way through 12 grades and not learn the basic skills necessary to graduate? Is the TAKS that hard? Is it a parenting problem? Do the teachers suck that badly? Do these kids have neurological disorders? I'm sure the No Child Left Behind campaign has something to say about this.

No comments: